The Lachine Canal is a canal crossing the southwestern part of the island of Montreal in the middle of Lake Saint-Louis and the Old Port. Named after the city of Lachine, it makes it possible to avoid the rapids of the same name on the St. Lawrence River. Admitted to the public in 1825, it was expanded twice in the XIXᵉ century, it had an important role in the industrial expansion of Canada and Montreal. It has been locked to commercial navigation since 1970, duplicated by the St. Lawrence Seaway. The canal was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1929. A bicycle and pedestrian path have lined its banks since 1977 and after thirty years of inactivity, it was reopened to pleasure boating in 2002.
Find parking easily in Old Port Montreal with clicknpark.